Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paleo Kid Lunches

The questions I get a the most when people find out we are eating this way are; "What do you feed the kids?" and "Are your kids okay with this diet?" Saying that last word like it's something dirty. 
My kids are fine with it!
My kids eat yummy food and help me make it. 
That's not to say they still don't want ice cream and bread and candy bars at the store, but it's not like I gave into them all that often before anyway. 
I try to make food fun, and anything that they can eat with their fingers they love.
Here are four lunches that we had this last week that they absolutely loved.

Clockwise left to right;
  1. Finger foods: Hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks, grapes, cherry tomatoes, and mini hot dogs from Trader Joes.
  2. Rotisserie Chicken from Costco (my kids LOVE this, you would think they were actual cavemen the way they rip that bird apart, licking their fingers the whole way), broccoli and a strawberry smoothie made with frozen strawberries and some vanilla almond milk.
  3. Turkey Roll Ups-I bought some Applegate Farms turkey, peeled some cucumbers and carrots into thin strips, and sliced some apples really thin. The kids loved putting them together and rolling them up. Served with some grapes and some paleo fudge. For the fudge; I just melt a little coconut oil, add some cocoa, sweetener (in this case honey...but I've tried all sorts) and sometimes some almond butter or shredded coconut. Mix well and put in the fridge or freezer to harden. I will post a more in depth recipe at some point, but it's really easy to just make your own up, just adding stuff until it tastes good. :)
  4. This last one is a no brainer. Tiny little hamburger patties and some sweet potato fries served with homemade fry sauce. I just use homemade mayo and ketchup and mix a little together. The kids love this lunch, especially since it has stuff to dip!
Lunches a lot of the time consist of leftovers, or just a bunch of finger foods that I dig out of the fridge, so I don't do a lot of planning for lunches.

Hopefully you can see that it doesn't have to be hard to find things that kids like that fit into the paleo mold though. Kids are easy to please...it's your husband with a major sweet tooth and love of all carbs, that can be difficult!


3 comments:

  1. This is really an interesting topic. I had a great time surfing and found some important tips and information from your blog. Keep it up.

    Bob
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy to visit your site and i did like it. I was able to get some informative topics. keep it up and you can also visit my site for your reference. Thank you and have a good day.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


    edupdf.org

    ReplyDelete